Does Fate Make Free Will An Illusion?
ren
2004-05-03 03:47:01 UTC
Simple.

We can all do things to put off death like exercise, eat right, cast
magickal spells of life extension. But sooner or later, we are still going
to die.

We can control fate as nothing is set in stone. But like a stone, everything
eventually falls to a lower place.
Alexandra Ceelie
2004-05-04 00:39:58 UTC
Post by ren
Simple.
We can all do things to put off death like exercise, eat right, cast
magickal spells of life extension. But sooner or later, we are still going
to die.
You've painted such a dark picture, ren... a dark picture of a beautiful
harbinger named Fate who decreed that we can do as we wish, but eventually
we are hers and she will have her way. I don't know where this image came
from. Perhaps you can enlighten...? ;)

It does raise another question -- if there is such a thing as Fate, who
governs it? Who does it answer to? Is it Universal law-in-action or
divinity? Is it something else?

If there are other Powers, I hesitate to think they would care enough one
way or another to give Thought-One to where we end up... or how we get
there. I believe that it is the divinity within Self that is the catalyst
for change in the Universe.
Post by ren
We can control fate as nothing is set in stone. But like a stone, everything
eventually falls to a lower place.
Gravity may be a law, but that doesn't say it can't be broken.
To illustrate: Gravity works, but not everywhere.

I think it depends on how badly one desires a certain outcome and how much
they are willing to give toward its manifestation.

"Let's go, Wagon..."
--
=^..^=
The NetKitten

http://denrealm.palacehosting.net
ren
2004-05-04 04:58:17 UTC
The religious concept of "Hell" does not describe what I have seen beyond
the veil.

H. P. Lovecraft was a fool to believe he could.

Not everyone receives closure.

Not every story ends happily.

Those who think it could never happen to them and it does.

Why does God allow bad things to happen to good people?

Because the divine doesn't give a shit about us and our little worlds.

When it moves and we are in the way, we are given no measure.

But for those who know how to ride the beast, the reins of fate are given.